Sunday, May 14, 2006

Words Of Wisdom From Bill Gates

Bill Gates delivers a speech at Waseda University, Tokyo, Japan, June 28, 2005. He received an honorary science doctorate from the university in recognition of the major contributions he has made to the university.
Photograph: Unko Kimura/Getty Images.


Bill Gates always has something interesting to say and here are some.

  • "Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose."
  • "If you think your teacher is tough, wait until you get a boss. He doesn't have tenure.
  • "Life is not fair; get used to it."
  • The world won't care about your self-esteem. The world will expect you to accomplish something before you feel good about yourself.
  • "My success, part of it certainly, is that I have focused in on a few things."
  • "I like my job because it involves learning. I like being around smart people who are trying to figure out new things. I like the fact that if people really try they can figure out how to invent things that actually have an impact."
  • Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your grandparents had a different word for burger flipping - they called it opportunity.
  • Television is not real life. In real life people actually have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.
  • "Sometimes we do get taken by surprise. For example, when the Internet came along, we had it as a fifth or sixth priority."
  • "As I look forward, I'm very optimistic about the things I see ahead. As we look ahead into the next century, leaders will be those who empower others."
  • "In this business, by the time you realise you're in trouble, it's too late to save yourself. Unless you're running scared all the time, you're gone."

No comments: